Saturday, February 05, 2005

Oops... I Did It Again

Drat. Just when I thought I have no more mangas to buy, I bought one again... no, it's two this time.

Last month I bought The Ring 1 manga from Darkhorse comics. It has mediocore artwork, I may say, and the story is completely adapted from the movie (ofcourse the japanese version Ringu and not the one with Naomi Watts). Which is kinda sad. But the manga still captured the suspense and horror of the film. After reading it I had nightmares. Heehehe... Anyway, I checked darkhorse.com and to my surprise they have 5 volumes which revolves around the Ring. Volume 1 being The Ring 1, Volume 2 : The Ring 2, Volume 3: Spiral, Volume 4: Birthday and Volume 5: The Ring 0. The movies had only 3 episodes. The Ring1, The Ring 2 and the Ring 0: Birthday. So which made wonder, how come the manga has 5 volumes? My curiosity got the best of me. I bought the other volumes. I bought volume 2 last week. And bought the last 2 yesterday. Volume 5 will come out this February.

The Ring 2 is also a direct copy of the film but the artwork is great. Kudos to Meimu for such a wonderful artwork. It really scared the shit out of me. The other two, were totally different. Volume 3: Spiral is a direct adaptation from the novel made by Koji Suzuki. It's totally different from the movie. Most of the characters are different but the premise is still the same. Only this time, it's more sci-fi than supernatural. No Sadako coming out of the TV and all that shit. It's more mind boggling. You have to read it to appreciate the story. The artwork on this one is also awesome... simple yet goregeous. Volume 4: Birthday is a continuation/conclusion of Ring 2. This time, it connects the story from the movie to the novel. This one is also done by Meimu. It was nice. Though it was not that scary. It just showed what Sadako's true intentions were. Weird is all I can say to that. (^-^)

I can't wait to buy the last volume so I can complete the set. According to darkhorse.com, the story would revolve around Sadako's teenage life. That would be interesting... it's like the movie Ring 0: Birthday. Anyway, all I can say is, it was worth buying. I suddenly have a certain interest in the horror genre. It's just, I don't want to read or watch them at night. ^^;;

Bounce!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raquel said...

Hmmm....very interesting, wonder if we could find copies of those here? If you want to get into reading horror, you should try reading Stephen King's The Shining, don't bother with the movies as it's not as good as the book. I know it's not a graphic novel but it what got me hooked on the horror genre when I was still in high school.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Gabeprime said...

Nice. Gastos na naman. ;) Wala ka bang mahihiraman nyan instead? Anyway, you got me curious about the series. I hope it comes out at Borders here so I can read it. Hehehe.

9:49 PM  
Blogger INGGO! said...

@ Raquel: I really want to read horror books, but the problem is, I tend to get bored reading a book. At first, I feel enthusiastic reading it then after a few chapters, I don't feel like continuing. I don't know what's the problem. I guess me and books don't get together or something. It was not made for me. Now comic books, on the other hand, is a totally different story. ^^;;

@ Kuya: You know. The problem is, no one dares to buy a manga here except me (and some die hard otakus which is pretty rare or in hiding), so renting is soooo out of the question. >_>

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home