Saturday, September 30, 2006

Super Typhoon Milenyo

Okay, I guess most of the bloggers in the Philippines must be writing the same story as what I'm about to write now.

Last thursday, a super typhoon called "Milenyo", struck the Philippines hard. It crippled businesses for atleast two days counting yesterday because of the damage it made. Most structures that withstood previous storms were damaged badly. Billboards along the streets tumbled down. Trees were uprooted from the ground. Cars were either flipped over or were crushed by falling trees or billboards. Power was out and so was the telephone lines. And cell-sites were inoperable making mobile phones useless. It was the worst typhoon that the Philippines had encountered.

I was at the office when the typhoon came. I didn't know that office was called off that day. When I got there, the storm built up and I never had the chance to go back home. Me and a couple of my friends at the office who also got stranded there just watched the typhoon as it raged by. We saw roofs flying all over the place. We were like "this looks like something straight out of a disaster movie". When the eye of the storm reached the place where we were, we decided to go to a mall nearby, hoping that it'll be open and have lunch. We saw along the way the havoc it created. It was very awful yet exciting at the same time. I've never seen nor experienced anything like that before.

When I got home, I was expecting the power to be out. And it was. Good thing yesterday morning, power went back up. As I went around the place, I realized that not everyone has power already. I guess we were just lucky. Up till now, most of Metro Manila (and probably the surrounding provinces) still doesn't have power yet. From what I've heard from the news, most of the power will be back by Sunday. That really sucks.

Anyway, kids must be happy when the typhoon hit, thinking that they don't have classes. But for us working people, it's not really a good thing. Especially for the economy. It's a good thing that rebuilding is quicker now than it was before. And hopefully by the start of next week, all will be back to normal.

Bounce!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home