Monday, April 17, 2006

Holy Week-end Indeed

It's a monday. And today is a start of another week. After almost a week long vacation last week (because of Holy Week), it's back to work again. Yesterday was Easter Sunday, so Happy Easter to all of you out there. Last week, I didn't get a chance to go online due to my ongoing problems with my broadband connection. Thankfully, we have an internet connection here at the office. I didn't miss much I guess. Probably because I was too busy last week watching a Korean soap called 18 or 29. I'll talk about that later. Also during the Holy Week, it is tradition that all stores and malls are closed on Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Local TV and radio stations are off air (thank God for cable).

Anyway, last Maundy Thursday, me and my friends went on church hopping or "Visita Iglesia" as we call it. It's a common practice in the Philippines to go on a Visita Iglesia during Holy Thursday. It is said that one must visit atleast 7 churches within a day, do the Stations of the Cross and your wish will be granted (I don't know about this part, but it sounded more like a superstitious belief). It's the first time that I did a Visita Iglesia without my parents. It's more fun. We went to Malate Church, Manila Cathedral, San Agustin Church, Binondo Cathedral, Shrine of Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Light (whew), Our Lady of Lourdes Church (in Tagaytay) and the circular church in Greenbelt respectively in that order. We were planning on going to the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters convent (popularly known as the Pink Sisters), unfortunately, there were a lot of visitors going in and out of their convent so it's quite difficult to enter. After a meaningful Visita Iglesia, my friends and I decided to hang around The Fort till midnight and chat.

On Good Friday, I started my Korean soap marathon. I had a hard time watching because of the bad subtitles. You have to piece evertything together in order to understand what the characters were saying. Still, the story was good and I liked it. My marathon ended yesterday. There were 16 episodes all in all. I didn't have time to finish the soap within a day because my friends (who I went with doing a Visita Iglesia) asked to meet me later that evening. Apparently, they couldn't get enough of our chatting on thursday and decided to continue chatting more. Well, it was fun. We bonded a little.

It was a good thing that on Black Saturday, mall operations went back to normal. So me and my parents went to the mall. They played BINGO as usual, while I watch a movie, as usual. I watched, Tristan and Isolde. According to the movie poster, "Before there was Romeo and Juliet, there was Tristan and Isolde". Okay, the film is supposed to be a tragic romance flick set in Britain right after the Romans moved out. Upon watching the film, I can't help but think that it is more like an Arthurian lore rather than a Shakespearean play because of a secret love between Queen and Champion (reads Guenivere and Lancelot). It's weird though that they decided to cast James Franco as Tristan. He's not a brit in anyway, and his dialect is confusing at times. Sophia Myles, on the other hand, who plays Isolde, seemed to lost the Irish accent (she is, after all, playing an Irish Princess). Directed by Kevin Reynolds, who directed Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, it's no wonder that accents were not emphisized in the film.

On Easter Sunday, we had our regular family get together. Nothing much happened on Easter Sunday. We already heard mass Saturday night. It was probably the longest mass I've ever attended. 7 readings, 7 responsorial psalms and a dance number. No wonder it took 2 and a half hours. Still, we did get baptized again.

Hopefully by this week, the broadband connection at home will be fixed so I can do this blog stuff at home instead of at work.

Bounce!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home